Friday, December 9, 2011

9. Dicembre 2011: All We Have Is Now

Ciao Tutti!
…I’m done. Wow. I really can’t believe that I’ve lived here, studied here, grown here in Florence, Italy for the past three and a half months. Talk about surreal…
I told you about my photoshoot last weekend and I got the photos today. Here are some of them.
Like I said, Stefano Zanini is a photography genius.
But my adventure is not over yet. Today I will be packing then plan to finally venture to the top of the Duomo. Tomorrow, Joseph arrives in Florence and we will begin a December to remember. I will continue to update my blog and will at least have pictures up every day that I have internet access. We will start in Florence for two days and then move on to Paris. Then we’ll travel to Amsterdam, Berlin and spend Christmas Eve in Prague. On Christmas Day we will be travelling through Vienna and be in Florence by sundown. We plan to return to Chicago on December 29th.
Alright, reflecting on this term I want to offer a bit of unsolicited advice to anyone considering study abroad, or even just living in a new culture. I thought that moving from Palo Alto, California to Galesburg, Illinois would be the hardest move I’d ever have to make but there are many different kinds of challenges. So here goes:
-Reflect on our own life before you decide to go abroad. What challenges have you had to overcome? What are the relationships in your life like?
-Read about the culture of the place where you will be living. Is there anything you read that puts you off? Can you prepare yourself for the hardest challenges you foresee?
-Do a beginners course on the language—Rosetta Stone or Pimsleur, just to get your footing
-Set goals for your trip and know that you won’t be able to complete all of them. Keep yourself open to possibilities and opportunities.
-Try to have as few expectations as possible. The success of any study abroad program depends on so many factors—professors, other students, classes, living situation and so many other unknowns. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst and take what comes.  
-When you’re packing, don’t forget things that will help you feel comfortable. Bring a pair of sweatpants, that stuffed animal that reminds you of your sister and always remember photos of loved ones.
-Make a budget!
-Research travelling prices ahead of time. You never know when or if you’ll get internet or research materials.
Finally…remember that you are going to grow. Open yourself up to anything. Never close yourself off from what you really want to be doing. You don’t want to give in to peer pressure when you’re on another continent. If you really want to go to the Boboli Gardens and study art history instead of club hopping, do it! Going to museums by yourself is more fun that with a group anyways.
Finally…yes. I would recommend the ACM Florence Program. The director, Jodie Mariotti is truly a saint. The classes are a lot of fun and the host families are wonderful. I’ve grown and I’ve changed and I am grateful for every second and every opportunity I’ve been given.
So as I say Buongiurno, Bonjour, Hej, Hallo and Dobrý den to Europe and Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment