Wednesday, November 30, 2011

30. November 2011: Musetta’s Waltz

I am in the midst of finals—finishing final papers and studying for final exams. Life is crazy. But tonight, I got to see Italian opera in Italy. How lucky am I? Wow.
The feature presentation was Puccini’s La Boheme. Many of my younger readers will know the story from the modern rock-opera version, Rent. From my knowledge of the music, the vague plotline and my comprehensive Italian language skills, I was quite proud of my ability to follow the plotline fairly closely. Beyond the fact that I was watching an Italian opera in Italy, (and one that I’ve been dying to see and have never gotten the chance to in the States) it was a truly incredible performance. The singing was phenomenal, the orchestra was perfect, the set was interestingly modern and the costumes were fun without taking away from the action of the plot. It was a wonderful introduction to La Boheme for me and really an exciting experience overall.
I will note one strange phenomenon that has been consistent in the last two shows I’ve seen in Italy: the applause it ridiculous. Really, the audience claps for fifteen minutes at the end of the show, at intermission…really, whenever. I don’t understand it and it gets frustrating after the first five minutes of bowing.
But, back to studying! I’m looking forward to going back to the Uffizi tomorrow to see some Botticelli (his Primavera and The Birth of Venus will, I’m guessing, be the highlights) and possibly stopping by a Christmas Market or two this weekend. I can’t believe I only have ten days left of my study abroad time here in Italy! I definitely would not have thought I would say this three months ago but…wow, time has flown by!

No comments:

Post a Comment