Friday, October 7, 2011

28. Settembre 2011: Words


And now I need to catch up on posting about my week because classes have started! Which, of course, means that I have plenty to say and no time to write. So very quickly, here we go.
My class on Medici seems to be mostly museum visits. The professor, however, is an extremely knowledgeable art historian who has actually discovered some important information about the Medici family. And it’s pretty cool to learn about the artists and art in the Duomo when you are actually standing inside the Duomo looking at the various art pieces.
I love Dante. I am one third of the way through his Inferno and loving it…I’m not sure if that’s a good thing but the poetry is astonishing. We are reading an English translation by Allen Mandelbaum, which is translated in verse (as opposed to prose) and has the original Italian verses on the page next to it.
In drawing class we are learning a new technique that I was initially very frustrated with. It was one of those techniques that makes you think, “I can already draw fine! Why are you making me feel like I’m incompetent all of a sudden?” But it’s teaching me to see in a different way which will be useful in the end.
Oh this is such a short and uninformative post, for which I apologize! I have been so thrown-off by my computer crashing and classes beginning. I promise I will write about Oktoberfest in the next post with great detail. Prepare yourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment