Thursday, October 27, 2011

25. Ottobre 2011: Postcards from Italy

I sewed for the first time today. I’m not supposed to be sewing on this trip (my carpal tunnel is getting worse even without sewing every day) but I couldn’t help myself. I bought a pair of harem pants, cut them with very dull foldable scissors and then borrowed my host-mom’s needle and thread to hem the bottom. I learned that to sew is cucino and a needle is l’ago. I also told my host-mom how to take shoulder pads out of a blazer (she asked).
Getting back into classes is an interesting process, especially because this week is visitor’s week. We have six visiting professors from various ACM schools giving lectures on random subjects throughout Florence which is moving the schedule around and making it more difficult to get homework done. I will, however, proudly say that my Medici paper was returned with an A grade! That gives me hope for the midterm that is coming up next week.
Yes, I realize that this is an incredibly short post but you know how getting back from break is. Preparing for a midterm, finishing a midterm project (which we weren’t given until today) and figure drawing. I’ll have progress pictures from that one at the end of the week, though I can already say that I’m happy with the progress I’m making with this technique.
Oh, I also wanted to briefly thank my folks for the four postcards in my mailbox when I returned from break! The value of receiving tangible mail has skyrocketed for me in Italy, especially because I cannot regularly connect to the internet. So again, thanks mom and dad!
I will end this quick post with an Italian lesson! You know how it’s bad luck to tell someone “good luck” in the theatre? Well, it’s bad luck to tell an Italian “buona fortuna” so instead they say something negative, “boca di lupo,” in the mouth of the wolf. One responds “crepi” to this, which in essence means “I hope the wolf dies.”
If that wasn’t enough Italian for you, here is my Diario assignment, documenting my break in Italian:
Venerdi, 14. Ottobre: Al’inizio della mia vacanza io ho lavorato per il mio classe di Storia dell’Arte. Quando io ho finite saggio l’io ho fatto una passegiatta.
Sabato, 15. Ottobre: Oggi la mia compagna di stanza e io siamo andate a Assisi. Noi abbiamo vistato la chiesa di San Francesco di Assisi—il santo da lui il mio nome viene.
Domenica, 16. Ottobre: Molto divertente—io ero una modella oggi! Io e un bravo fotografo siamo andati in molti posti a Firenze. Io ho imparato gli edificii e la storia di Firenze.
Lunedi, 17. Ottobre: Non mi piace viaggiare con il Pullman e l’aero. Tutti due sono in ritardo e tutti I viaggiatori erano meschini e fastidiosi. Ma Kari e io siamo arrivate a Londra finalmente alle 23:00.
Martedi, 18. Ottobre: Io voglio traslocare a Londra. Io ho fatto molto! Ho visto Hyde Park (bel parco!), Harrod’s, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, St. Paul’s, Globe Teatro, Tower of London e Piccadilly Circus. Tutti sono belli e con interessant storia. Io ho incontrato la mia amica di Knox College per cena e noi abbiamo parlato quattro ore.
Mercoledi, 19. Ottobre: Oggi era un po rilassante. Io sono andata al Victoria e Albert Museo e ho visto molti beli costume. Dopo sono andato a Camden Town e ho incontrato un’amica del Ginnasio. Noi abbiamo mangiato sushi! Poi sono andata al’Imperial War Museo e poi a cena. Dopo la cena Kari e io abbiamo visto uno spettacolo teatrale “Billy Elliot” con molte brave ballerina e cananti.
Giovedi, 20. Ottobre: Oggi ho visitato il British Museo e ho visto la pietra di Rosetta, mummie e le medaglie per le Olympiadi di Londra 2012. Dopo ho visitato Covent Garden e poi la Tate Modern museo. Io ho preferito la Tate Modern e la mostra di fotografia di Taryn Simon e la fotografa Diane Arbus. Per la cena io ho incontrato il mio amico di Knox College e dopo la cena noi siamo andati a un pub inglese e abbiamo bevuto London Ale. Buona!
Venerdi, 21. Ottobre: Di nuovo viaggi e di nuovo era fastidioso. Ma prima noi abbiamo mangiato la colazione! Uova e cereal e pancetta!
Sabato, 22. Ottobre: Io ho dormito molto! Quando io mi sono svegliata ho fatto una passegiatta inorno Firenze. Dopo ho visto un film, “From Hell” con Johnny Depp su Jack the Ripper. Un buon film.
Domenica, 23. Ottobre: Di nuovo io ho dormito e ho fatto compiti. Ieri io ho versato il caffe sopra il mio computer. Allora oggi io lo provo a riparare. 

No comments:

Post a Comment